Year 7 Admissions
Secondary Transfers for September 2021
The school participates in the Hertfordshire County Council co-ordinated scheme for admissions. All deadlines within this scheme must be adhered to by applicants. Hertfordshire County Council will make offers of places on behalf of the school www.hertsdirect.org/admissions (Tel: 0300 123 4043).
In addition to completing the Hertfordshire Standard Transfer Form (The Common Application Form) either online or in paper form, we encourage parents to complete the school’s Supplementary Information Form and return it to the Clerk to the Admissions’ Committee, The Broxbourne School, High Road, Broxbourne, Herts EN10 7DD. This is so that the governors can collect information which they need to consider applications fully. If an applicant does not complete the Supplementary Information Form, the Governing Body will apply the school’s oversubscription criteria using the information submitted on the Common Application Form. This may result in the application being given a lower priority against those criteria due to lack of available information.
When applications for admission exceed the number of places available the following criteria will be applied, in the order set out below, to decide which pupils to admit. These criteria will continue to be used to allocate places should any fall vacant after the initial allocation.
90% of allocations (186) will be made using the following criteria (1 to 5) in the order set out below and the remaining 10% of allocations will be made using criterion (6)
- Children who are or have been in public care
- Children for whom it can be demonstrated that they have a particular medical and/or social need which makes The Broxbourne School the most suitable school for that child
- Children of staff at the school where the member of staff has been employed under a contract of employment with the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made or the member of staff is recruited under a contract of employment to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage
- Children who have an older brother or sister (a sibling) at the school living at the same address at the time of application, unless it is anticipated that the sibling will have left the school before the date of proposed admission of the applicant
- Home to school distance. The ‘Tie-breaker’. After places have been allocated using criteria 1, 2 3, and 4, home to school distance is used as the ‘tie-breaker’ to allocate any remaining places within the 90% of places (186) allocated to criteria 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Home to school distance is used as the ‘tie-breaker’ because it is a clear, objective and fair criterion
- The remaining 10% of places (20) will be allocated for children who show an aptitude for languages on the basis of an assessment of aptitude carried out by the school. Priority will be given to those with the highest score in this test.
Application forms can also be requested by email from email@example.com
As we are minimising the volume of visitors to the school please either submit your applications by post or via email. Documents can be scanned and attached to your application.
If you have any questions please contact Mrs Maddock, Admissions Manager, at the school on 01992 411060.
Aptitude for languages Test
The Aptitude for Languages Test will take place on Saturday 26th September 2020. In view of the current circumstances please ensure you keep the whole day free.
The government is in the process of drawing up further guidance regarding the administration of admissions tests. If this leads to changes to our admissions procedures we will update the website.
Application forms for the test must be received by Wednesday 16th September by 4pm. Any applications received after this time and date will not be processed. Please either post your applications to the school or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. As applications after this date will not be processed, if you are posting forms please ensure you use the correct postage. An acknowledgement of receipt of your posted application will only be sent if you provide a stamp addressed envelope.
Applications for the Aptitude test (including supplementary information form) must be received by Wednesday 16th September at 4pm
Unfortunately, we will not be able to process any Applications for the Aptitude Test received after this date. Please ensure you use the correct postage if you are posting forms.
Applications deadline for all other criteria – Friday 23rd October
Aptitude Test – Saturday 26th September
Letters with arrangements for the test will be sent out on Friday 18th September
Letters with scores will be posted on Thursday 8th October
Deadline for applications to HCC – Sunday 31st October